Connecting Adobe Photoshop Lightroom with the Google+ Social Media Network

July 16, 2012 | | Comments 18

Updated Version of This Article Now At DavidMarx.com

Please click here to see the latest video tutorial on Connecting Adobe Photoshop Lightroom with Google+ at www.davidmarx.com.

Filed Under: (07) Exporting From Lightroom

1. Jerry Bengtson says:

You specify image size in the plugin configuration as 2048 px wide and 1536 px high. Wouldn’t it be better to just specify the 2048 px on the longest side so portrait images display properly as well as landscape?

Dear Jerry,

I specify both dimensions because computer screens are rectangular rather than square. Specifying only the longest side will be problematic if the dimension you pick exceeds the height of the screen. My iPad, for example, can display a horizontal image that is 2048px wide and 1536px tall. But if I give it a vertical image then I need a file that is only 1536px tall and something smaller than 1536px wide. Give it anything more and either the extra image falls off the screen or the image must be downsampled by the device until it fits.

2. Eric says:

I feel like I’m missing something very basic here. Your fantastic tutorial shows me how to post a PicasaWeb photo on Google+ by clicking “Photos”, finding the photo, and clicking “Share”. This is great for making an original post that showcases my photo.

However, what if I’m trying to post in a community or some other existing line of conversation? Clicking “Photos” in this case brings me away from that conversation, and clicking the little camera button expects me to browse my hard drive and/or Google Drive. I see no way at this moment to select a PicasaWeb photo. I’m very frustrated by this, and I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thanks for the great tutorial vids!

Dear Eric,

Jeffery Freidl’s PicassaWeb plugin can help you get files from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom into your Google+ photo albums. I too wish it could do more but Google has not opened up the code–the API–to third-party developers for anything more. This means that the plugin can only takes us so far then we have to rely on Google+ itself for the rest. Somethings within the Google+ design are painless and obvious. Others are a little more tricky. Posting a photo to community is one of them.

To post a photo to a community:

1. Upload it to a Google+ album.
      2. Go to that image online and hit the share button.
      3. Add whatever text you want.
      4. Change the sharing from “Public,” or one of your circles, to the name of the community. Scroll down to find your communities in the share with list because they are always at the bottom of this dialog.
      5. Once you have picked the appropriate community you will then have the opportunity to pick the right thread.

It is worth noting here that you cannot (yet) share the same image with a circle and a community, or share it with multiple-communities, in a single click. If you want the image to be shared publicly, and with a community, then you need to repeat this process once for the public share and once for the community share. Awkward but not awful once you figure out how to cut and paste the same text into both postings.

Hope this helps.

• Eric says:

David, thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. It’s certainly simple enough, and yet I’m appalled that it’s not made more obvious by Google. Anyway, this did the trick. Thanks again.

3. I’ve heard so much about how good Google+ is for Photographers, that I have finally decided to give it a try. And after following your videos I can now upload photos to PicasaWeb/Google+ easily. So thanks for that! But I have to admit that so far I am finding Google+ a rather frustration experience.

I think part of my frustration is that as a long time Flickr user I keep looking for ways to do the things I’m used to doing on Flickr. I’m sure I will get on better on Google+ once I have got past that mindset, but in the mean time maybe you can answer a couple of questions:

1. On the main photo viewing page, how do I show and hide that ugly white panel on the right hand side of the page? In your first video you seem to do this by selecting some sort of icon in the bottom righthand corner of the photo, but I don’t see that icon! All I can see is the icon to go full screen in the top righthand corner. But I don’t want do that as that also hides all the other stuff, such as the option to ‘View all’ photos in the album. I just want to show and hide the white panel.

2. What happens to all metadata I spend so much time lovingly creating in Lightroom? It seems to disappear completely… there is no sign of my keywords in that white panel… no opportunity to, for example, click on one of the keywords I have given a photo to see other photos with that keyword. I must be missing something!

Well, I have 100s of other questions, but I guess I should just take baby steps!!

Dear Chris Osborne,

1. To hide the white side bar in Google+’s single photo view mode you can either a: hit the little black and gray diagonal arrow in the upper left corner of your image, or b: tap the spacebar on your keyboard to go to full-screen mode.

2. It’s Google! Assuming that your images were uploaded with metadata then Google is reading anything it can out of your files. The keywords, etc are not displayed in the Google+ interface but they are still in your file. Watch what happens at the bottom of that panel when you upload a file with GPS data. True, the keywords are not visible or directly searchable like they are on Flickr but the info is still there. I wish that we had this functionality but you can do an awful lot of powerful searching already using a Google Image search…

• As I said in my original comment I already know how to go into slide show mode. But that’s not what I want to do. Slide show mode also hides everything else on the screen including the useful ‘View all’ option. And this Image search you talk about seems, as far as I can see at least, to search my posts, but not images in albums that haven’t been posted yet (even though they’re public albums), or maybe I’m still doing something wrong. This morning I noticed that my keywords are displayed in Picasaweb, so Google clearly have the know-how to make more use of keywords, but to be honest I think Google+ itself isn’t quite ready yet… it feel too much like beta software, while Flickr, for all it’s faults, at least feel like the mature product it is. Google+ show a lot of promise, but I think I’ll wait another year and then dip my toe in again when they’ve done some more work on it. But thanks for your help so far!

4. Dave Bell says:

Thanks so much for your great presentation on The Photoshop Show tonight.
    I’ve used Jeffrey’s plugins in the past, but hadn’t revisited in months… and didn’t know about the Picasaweb one. This will certainly help with my LR->G+ workflow!

Regarding the pics duplicated in Photos from Posts… this seems to be simply the same way that Google handles things when sharing already-uploaded photos.
    1. If you share the album, nothing goes into Photos from Posts. Comments on the post get associated with the cover pic in the original album.
    2. If you share an individual pic from Lightbox view, the pic also shows up in Photos from Posts. Comments on the posts don’t stay associated with the pic in the original album.

This seems to be a G+ anomaly rather than a problem with the plugin.

Dear Dave Bell,

Glad you liked last nights presentation. I believe that you are right. I think that the inconsistency in comments is a Google+ issue. I suspect that it is one that Jeffery Friedl will attack once Google releases the API for the Google+ platform. PicassaWeb came about many years ago but Google+ is still so young that I am willing to overlook this oddity! Plus, it really doesn’t stop me from sharing my photos from Lightroom and reacting appropriately when I receive feedback on my Google+ wall posts.

5. Paul Donohoe says:

absolutely essential viewing and so easy to follow and do…thanks so much David as always. don’t quite know what I’d do without you mate!
    paul

Thanks Paul Donohoe! I really appreciate it! I don’t work for Google, and I am not even shareholder in their stock, but I am really loving the Google+ social media platform and I bet that there are a lot of photographers like me out there who will enjoy it too.

6. Are the images protected from right click downloads.

I use Smugmug and that has selective image protection.

I have a Google + account but have not used it. This seems like a good opportunity to explore.

Dear Edward Pritchard,

Images on Google+ and PicassaWeb are not protected from the right-click and save image option. I suppose this is a disadvantage but even with when that kind of script is added into a website like Smugmug it offers you no real protection. There is nothing that you can do to stop a viewer from making a screengrab of any image that you post to any website. If you truly fear dishonest people capturing web-size copies of your work then don’t post it anywhere because right-click or no right-click anyone can still grab it.

Limiting the pixel dimensions of the files that you post, embedding meaningful metadata, using a visible watermark, and using an invisible tracer like Digimarc are all ways to add some meaningful protection to your files but in the end if it is on the screen it can be recorded no matter what you do!

7. Thanks for the tips. I see a problem doing it this way. It appears that a copy of the photo is created and placed in the “photos from posts” album on picasaweb. Check out https://plus.google.com/u/0/101767910778400106039/posts/fVr2iuC7JoN and then the photo is in 2 locations at the post and at the location in the “my photography” album I uploaded it to. I wish it would not copy it over and just link to it. That might be why the comments do not get dumped back into Lightroom.

I answered this comment from T.J. Powell’s on Google+ too. Proof that G+ opens up new avenues to learn and connect! I am going to share my reply here too though in case others have the same questions:

T.J.- You are right that uploading from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom to a PicassaWeb album and then posting creates the appearance of duplicates in your albums. I don’t find this to be a problem since my albums all have specific names and purposes– “landscape,” “travel,” “sports,” etc. The “photos for post” album is a catchall that Google+ automatically populates with any photo that you post no matter what its source.

The trouble with the comments, I believe, is that software designers like Jeffrey Friedl do not have access yet to the right parts of the Google+ API. It is not my area of expertise but I believe that no third party has access to this part of the Google+ code yet so no one can design a system to read comments from G+ posts out to another program yet. In time I believe that this will change and when it does I bet that we see a direct Adobe Photoshop Lightroom to Google+ export plugin. But as of yet this part of the code is closed, I believe, to everyone.