Slideshow Collections in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

June 20, 2011 | | Comments 11

Author’s Note: I have completely rewritten and updated this article. Please follow this link to see the updated tutorial.

Photoshop Lightroom Tutorial 35: Creating A Slideshow with Collections in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Filed Under: (04) Organizing with Lightroom(08) Lightroom Slideshow Module TutorialsAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials

1. Kerry says:

Hi David ~ Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see a tutorial on using the slideshow dialog boxes, etc. If I missed it please point me there. If you’ve not done one, I would encourage you to make one…your teaching style is terrific!

Best, Kerry from So. Calif.

2. Ludo says:

Excellent tips on the video!

I am a (fairly) novice lightroom user, and as such created too many catalogs. When I started gathering these into a single one (using “Import catalog”) I noticed that all the maps, collections, etc. are imported OK, except for the slideshow collections. I have all the photographs in the new catlog but because the slideshow collection is missing, I also lost the sequence of the selected photographs. (Fortunately I still have the original catalogs with the slideshow collections in them.) Did I do something wrong during the import, or do I have to recreate the slideshow collections in the new catalog?

Dear Ludo,

Moving things like collections from Catalog to Catalog require use of the Import from Catalog command since these features are stored only at the Catalog level. Unfortunately working with the Import from Catalog dialog is primitive and cumbersome.

• Ludo says:

Thanks for your reply. And I agree, combining catalogs and transferring collections is not straightforward, but I got it done, except for that one particular type of collections: slideshows. If anybody has any additional thoughts on how to transfer these from one catalog to another, I would appreciate the info.

Ludo

3. Al says:

Thanks for your reply.

4. Al says:

David can a collection in Lightroom3 be copied (or some how transferred) into Bridge’s collections?

Dear Al,

Lightroom Collections cannot be transfered to Bridge and Bridge collections cannot be transfered to Lightroom. They can’t be transfered because they use completely different systems. There is an easy workaround though. Just use keywords and smart collections!

5. Paul says:

Hi David. Coincidentally I made my first slideshow in lightroom a few days ago. I almost came here to see if you had anything on slideshows, but then, last night, there it was in my inbox. Great help as always. short and simple to understand and easy to use in real life. thanks David!!!

6. Thanks David, this is especially useful as I am teaching a nature photography class this Saturday.
    Gerry

• davem says:

Dear Gerry and Paul,

Thanks for the compliments on the slideshow collections tutorial. I am glad you found this trick useful. Good luck with your class Gerry!